Thursday, September 22, 2011

Computer start up after installing new PSU Need IT advice.?

Long story how it happened , anyway electricity was being shut off for about 10 mins. I told my landlord to wait til I could shut down my computer. I have an HP Emachine 6400. He cut the power as Vista was shutting down. After the power was back up, I could not turn on my computer nothing it was dead. I changed out the Power Supply, I changed out the CPU fan. However I turn it on, it starts now, but does its POST%26gt; an error comes up about a hardware change , or Vista wasnt shut down properly. I go to recovery to fix. Computer shuts down. I try to get in to the bios. Computer will not stay on longer then 1 min at the most. I can get to almost loading Vista , it shuts down.



I pulled out the battery and , bios is reset there should not be any admin problems.



All the fans are running.



I can not keep this computer running Any IT out there that can shed light? Computer start up after installing new PSU Need IT advice.?it sounds like you have troubleshooted this problem quite well..

this problem sounds like a cpu heat problem... after the cpu reaches a certain temperature, the computer shuts itself down for precautionary reasons. things you can do -



from a cold start, open up the bios menu and quickly try to find a hardware temperature gauge. after finding this, (should be in advance bios options, or something like that) see what your cpu temperature is at. 45deg is fine, around 50-60 is a bit high, and around 70-90 is dangerously high. so basically, if your cpu is reaching anywhere from 70-90 it will shut down the computer.



the first thing you can try doing, is to see if the cpu fan is properly locked above the cpu.



the thing that you should be worried about is the cpu fan...ive had this problem before and all i had to do is readjust the fan. if this doesn't work then you might look at buying yourself some heat paste.



good luck