Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I re-enter CPU settings?

On booting my Windows XP I get a warning that CPU has been changed. If I press F1 it just carries on as normal, but the date has been knocked back to January 2002. These are the main details on the first message:

Main Processor: Intel(R)Pentium 4CPU. CMOS Checksum error - defaults loaded. Warning! CPU has been changed. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit. Press F1 to continue. Del to enter setup. I have tried the Del but the computer does not seem to respond. What has caused this? Also, for quite some time I have been getting warnings that my computer is seriously low on virtual memory, although when check the C drive for space, there is lots of space left. Could there be a connection between the virtual memory and the CPU warning? Can anyone give me step by step instructions how to re-enter the CPU? And what exactly do I have to re-enter?How do I re-enter CPU settings?Just to add to what has already been said, if your BIOS settings have changed without any intervention it may be worth changing the CMOS battery at the same time, as if that is dead then even changing the BIOS back to where it should be it will not save the settings when the PC is switched off %26amp; it'll happen everytime the PC gets switched on :(



HTHHow do I re-enter CPU settings?You have to enter bios to setup your cpu. Entering bios would be hitting del on startup. Virtual memory is adjusted as needed generally, but if you are continually running out of it there is definitely something wrong, or your computer is pretty old.



You may want to have a professional look at it, because making the wrong changes to your CPU can make your computer very unstable at best, or totally destroy the CPU at worst.