Monday, September 19, 2011

How hard is it to change RAM and CPUs on a Notebook?

I was given a computer not long ago that only has about 330mb of ram and 800mhz (AMD Turion 64). I want to upgrade my computer but don't have the money (being a minor), but there are a couple of old computers I have lying around that are broken that have ram that is better than mine and a Celeron processor. How hard would it be to go and pull those out and switch them with my computer? (Oh and I know that the ram chips have to be compatible with my comp)



btw, its a Compaq Presario v2000How hard is it to change RAM and CPUs on a Notebook?It's not going to happen.

The RAM on a laptop is designed for the laptop's motherboard and a different size/shape/formfactor than the RAM used in other laptops but let's say some of the other systems are compatible--there is a chance that the RAM will work but given the age of the system, it might already be maxed out. Got to Crucial.com and see.



As for the processor, you can't upgrade a laptop--not easily. While a tech might be able to get the CPU out and replace it, once you do, there is a good chance that the operating system won't boot.How hard is it to change RAM and CPUs on a Notebook?I've never changed a laptop processor, but on my laptop all you do is pop off the bottom and the RAM is right there. Just pop it out and replace it with new RAM.