Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When i use Asus AI Suite to overclock my new P5KC it does change the frequency but the CPU ratio goes back?

to X6. This happens no matter how much clocking I am trying to achieve. I have Core 2 Duo E6300 and Nvidia 8500 GT and the normal dvd rw etc.

Are there any known probs with this config... Please helpWhen i use Asus AI Suite to overclock my new P5KC it does change the frequency but the CPU ratio goes back?The E6300 has a factory-locked maximum CPU multiplier of 7. You cannot exceed this value.



If I understand what you're saying correctly, you're saying that you set the multiplier to 7 (or don't change it) and it drops to 6 by itself? If so, that's probably SpeedStep. To confirm this, run a program like Prime95 or Orthos (or anything to make the CPU busy) and I bet you'll see the multiplier jump back to 7 immediately. It's just trying to save power because it's not under load.



You really shouldn't want to disable this, but if you do, you can turn off SpeedStep in the BIOS or in the power management settings for your OS. However, this will cause your CPU to use a couple of extra watts when it's on but you're not actively using it.