Thursday, September 22, 2011

About to OverClock my CPU, Ram, & GFX. Need Advice.?

Before you go about to warn be about the dangers of OverClocking, its totally ok because this is a trash model i found in the dumpster for experimenting.

The Mobo is a Biostar with a 1.7ghz intel cpu. It only gots 128mb ram. Im placing one of my own heatsinks and fans on it to keep it cool. The Bios is Very Overclock friendly, it allows me to tweak the cpu and ram each in two ways. now im gonna list what the bios stated.



*For the CPU



CPUClock Ratio [10x] (with the option to change to from 10min to 24max



Spead Spectrum [+/-0.25%] (dunno what this is for)



CPU Clock [100mhz] (gives me option to change from 100min to 132max



*Now the Ram



Current FSB Frequency 100mhz

Current DRAM Frequency 133mhz

DRAM Clock [By SPD] (gives me the option to change from 100mhz to 133mhz]

DRAM Timing [By SPD] (gives me the option to change saying manuel)

DRAM Burst Len [4] (gives me the option to change from 4 to 8

CPU read DRAM mode [medium] (gives me the option to change from slow, medium, fast.





The current CPU temperature is at 30C and 86F



Let me know how you think i should tweak it. I'll post the image of the PC here in a little bit.About to OverClock my CPU, Ram, %26amp; GFX. Need Advice.?Well the short answer is usually the best answer...



1) Do overclocking in very small increments.

2) Everytime you increase it, run a load test on the system to make sure it's stable

3) Repeat



When it gets to the point of the system hanging or acting strangely, dial it back a couple of notches in the bios.



You might want to think about increasing the cooling on it before you start playing around with it. From what I can remember about those old CPU's is that they don't have very substantial cooling. If you've got some old fans lying around, you can always Frankenstein something together. I remember I had one I oc'ed back in the day that I cut a hole in the side of the case and ducted 6 case fans onto the CPU to take away the heat. I got a good 20% performance boost out of the computer that way.