Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do you upgrade a CPU of computer?

Hi,



I have a Compaq Presario SR1710NX It is getting slow and I thought I might give it a boost with a new processor



Here is the current processor I have

AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+ Socket 939



I was thinking about upgrading to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+



The problem is that this is my first time upgrading and I do need help on upgrading the processor



For example, what parts should I change? Do I change just the CPU or get it some better heat sink and fan too?

How do I change the CPU in the computer?



Any tips would be appreciated



Thanks!How do you upgrade a CPU of computer?By putting the words:



compaq presario sr1710nx specs



into Google.com, I got:



http://www.google.com/search?q=compaq+pr



The 2nd/3rd hits took me to the HP support site (since HP owns Compaq now). That is at:



http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Tec



The specs on that page say the motherboard is an Asus A8AE-LE also named a AmberineM-GL6E. Now, it's a crapshoot as to whether any specs on this board are going to be found at www.asus.com because Compaq often has a special version of the board made just for them. There ought to be a fairly generic version that's close though.



We want to find the motherboard specs to see which CPUs it supports. We know it's a socket 939 CPU, but those come in a range of speeds and not all speeds work on all motherboards.



Next stop is Asus' support web site at: http://support.asus.com/download/downloa to see how close we can get.



Nada. Lot's of choices under: Motherboard -%26gt; Socket 939 -%26gt; but none of them is A8A-anything A8V (Via chipset) and A8N (Nvidia chipset), but this is A8A (ATi chipset, I guess). It looks like a commercial version of this motherboard doesn't exist. In short, you're not getting any info from Asus.



I was able to find some general info at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum



Discussion on hacking what apparently is the cripped BIOS in the SR1710NX's motherboard: http://www.geocities.com/whydothis1000/m



Some posts I ran across claim that theirs came with a AMD 64 3400+. Another post claims to have found that the following processors have been used in the board:

Athlon64 X2 4800+

Athlon64 X2 4200+

Athlon 64 4000+

Sempron 3200+



I found a huge thread about this motherboard and how to get the latest BIOS and what processors people have gotten to work in it at: http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic8350 It sounds like the X2 4400+ has been made to work.



If you get a retail version of the an AMD processor, it will include a new heatsink and fan, which I would recommend using just because your existing fan is probably getting old. It will also include new thermal bonding compound (in the form of grease or tape on the heatsink, probably). Finally, it will include instructions on installing the CPU and heatsink/fan. In general, you disconnect the power connector for the fan, release the clips for the heatsink, open the zero insertion force release on the CPU and remove it. Reverse those steps to install. The manual will have details.How do you upgrade a CPU of computer?First, you need to remove the old CPU and heat sink. Then, put in your new CPU, and, if your CPU is retail it will come with a new heat sink. Attach that.
  • iis web server
  • best myspace
  •