Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I change the CPU multiplier?

OK, I have a HP Pavillion ZV5000 laptop. I used Nvidia's Ntune to overclock it. But it hung or something and I manually restarted it (held in the power button till it turned off) and it changed the CPU multiplier to 8X. Now, it runs the processor twice as fast, and my fans can't keep up. So, how can I change the multiplier back to 7X? Ntune says to use your BIOS or whatever to do it, but mine has no options for that. Is there a utility that can do this?How do I change the CPU multiplier?If your BIOS doesn't have Overclocking features then it won't have PCI locks, this means that any extra voltage or speed applied to the CPU will also increase the speed and voltage of any cards in PCI or PCI-Express ports.

Overclocking a card in this manner is not good for it.



If the mobo's BIOS doesn't have voltage and frequency settings then using nTune or any software based overclocking utility could cause irreparable damage to components.



If you get a mobo that has PCI locks only use BIOS settings to overclock, no software like nTune is as good as a decent BIOS like aBit's uGuru.



Edit:

Laptop!

Do Not OC a laptop's CPU.

If it has a good fan and housing then oc the graphics, but not the CPU, no laptop is safe to overclock CPUHow do I change the CPU multiplier?there is a palce in in bios.....